A Loner Dottie, a Rebel...


 I'm nervous to write this post. As a 40 something 80s baby living in this modern world that doesn't include flying cars, butler robots or heck, financial stability that will lead us all to wake up to a fully realized 'American Dream' - I don't really know what this world means a lot of the time and humans place in it. 

Born and raised in sunny Southern California in the early 80's, I was weaned on the tv, music that my parents played (blasted actually),  cartoons, movies and sitcoms that were the opposite of reality TV to say the least. 

Glamourous and outrageous is the only way to define the decade. Characters shined bright even in black and white in classic comedies that re-ran on Nick at Night. I Love Lucy, Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, The Addams Family, The Munsters, Mister Ed were a hit in my house. Raised on Sesame Street, Mr. Roger's, Rainbow Brite, Jem, Beverly Hills Teens, She-Ra, He-Man, Cheers and later repeat watching of Top Gun, Dirty Dancing and Weekend at Bernie's. Not to mention Alf, Mister T, Knight Rider - the Jem theme song says it best - the 80s were truly outrageous!



Back then the music seemed to not just have a beat but an all encompassing heartbeat. With the invention of MTV you had a revolving spectacle glowing at you from the screen with all sorts of fantastical artists. These artists could be replicated in your very own house by flipping through your parents or older siblings record collection. Michael Jackson, Madonna, Boy George, Wham, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Bon Jovi, The Go-Gos, Cyndi Lauper - and lets not forget The B-52s all seemed to step in to your living room and transport you to a type of life that existed somewhere - and that if only you were old enough - you could join the party.

Movies had familiar people you could consider friends and even the flimsiest plotlines were somehow filled with passion, glamour and romance. (Dirty Dancing anyone?). This fact is actually kind of history making. 80s children were probably the first ever to have their favorite media at their beck and call constantly ready for a re-watch with the availability of the VHS, both store bought and able to record from the TV. I think this is where the "comfort show" first started. So that "friend" comment put in that context might ring true to some readers even today.


If we become what we are around I think it's safe to say that has a child who felt neglected by their family looked out in to the real world for the fantastic people and places I knew deep down had to be waiting for me to meet and discover. The ordinary was just that and decidedly not anything I would ever been interested in.

I still don't think I've ever grasped a true sense of reality. I've met plenty of wholesome weirdos in my life and I have determined as long as my bills are paid I'm good. Much of my life till this point however has been crippled with trauma and the reality of bad energy. I've burned bridges, walked away and ghosted before it was thing. I'm not proud of this but have accepted my actions as someone who was dealing with emotional recovery and suffering and working in real time. Maybe someone out there can relate.

So I do what I've always done, gassed up the tank, cranked the tunes and hit the road - the great emotional equalizer. Bring me that horizon like Jack Sparrow to the next town, next roadside icon, next thrift store full of treasure and bounty.

This is what I want my blog and (possible) YouTube channel to be about. An expression of one woman's journey through time and space, America and the World. I hope to write and speak boldly and to do so with love and acceptance of all who share the interests of kindness, kitsch and the fantastical madness that is life. 



Comments

Popular Posts